Open Research across DisciplinesHow the principles of open research can be applied to your discipline
UKRN case study: Political science
University of Surrey case study: The benefits and challenges of open access journals for political science
University of Surrey case study: Rebuilding Surrey: Open research on Covid’s impact on Surrey
Examples of open research practices
Open Data: Transparency International (https://www.transparency.org/en/) is a global movement which advocates against corruption through research and campaigning and promotes transparency and accountability through all levels across all sectors of the society. Their publications are open access and include research papers, reports, policy reports which provide specific data for countries and activities, as well as case studies. Toolkits and guides are also available to be used for anti-corruption activities. For example, the Exporting Corruption Progress Report 2020 (https://www.transparency.org/en/publications/exporting-corruption-2020) focuses on foreign bribery focusing on enforcement levels across different countries and how it is affected during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Overview guide on open access in Political Science. open-access.network: Open Access in Political Science
- Article about open research. https://www.samuelmoore.org/2019/07/16/why-open-science-is-actually-pretty-good-politics/
- Elman, C., Kapiszewski, D., and Lupia, A. (2018). Transparent social inquiry: implications for political science. Annual Review of Political Science. https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/10.1146/annurev-polisci-091515-025429
- Journal Editors Transparency Statement (JETS). https://politicalbehavior.wordpress.com/2015/11/11/statement-on-da-rt-and-the-jets/
- Move towards open access in Politics. https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2019/12/16/politics-and-open-access/
- Symposium on ‘Opening Political Science’. A collection of seven short articles on open research in political and other social science. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/ps-political-science-and-politics/special-collections/opening-political-science
- Kapiszewski, D., and Karcher, S. (2019). Transparency in Practice in Qualitative Research. PS: Political Science & Politics, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.33774/apsa-2019-if2he-v2
- Wuttke, A. (2018). Why Too Many Political Science Findings Cannot Be Trusted and What We Can Do About It: A Review of Meta-Scientific Research and a Call for Academic Reform. Polit Vierljahresschr, 60:1-19. https://t.co/CBYPKp3kTa?amp=1
- Open Methods Framework for open observational science. https://osf.io/preprints/metaarxiv/udfs9/
- Approaches to Open Research for Researchers Using Qualitative Methods. https://doi.org/10.33774/apsa-2019-if2he-v2
- Harvard dataverse is an open access data repository. It holds open access data, associated with Research and Politics, an open access publication, published by Sage. https://dataverse.harvard.edu/dataverse/researchandpolitics
- Research guide for finding datasets. Databases – Political Science & International Relations – LibraryGuides at Creighton University
- Open political science datasets. https://www.poliscidata.com/pages/internationalRelations.php
- Open public policy digital publication resource. https://www.openaccessgovernment.org
- Open access Political Science articles.
- Human Rights dataset. http://www.humanrightsdata.com/p/data-documentation.html
- Political Research Exchange (PRX) offers a dynamic platform to advance research, innovation and debate across the breadth of political science. With significant subsidies on the normal upfront costs of Open Access, PRX signals a commitment of the European Consortium for Political Research as a scholarly association to forging a cogent path for the research community at this crucial juncture when academic publishing is becoming fundamentally transformed. https://www.tandfonline.com/action/journalInformation?show=aimsScope&journalCode=prxx20
- Preprint repositories.
- Open access journals for Political Science.
- Open access journals for Politics.
- Open access journal for International Studies.
This page is adapted and extended from: Farran, E. K., Silverstein, P., Ameen, A. A., Misheva, I., & Gilmore, C. (2020, December 15). Open Research: Examples of good practice, and resources across disciplines. https://doi.org/10.31219/osf.io/3r8hb